Would you know what to do if there was a tree touching power lines on your property?
Power lines and electrical equipment exist on practically every property. When trees come into contact with electricity lines, they can disrupt power and harm anyone that comes in contact. While procedures are in place to safeguard us, occasionally, we find ourselves in dangerous situations.
Keep reading to learn more about preventing danger with a tree touching power lines on your property and what to do when faced with this risky problem.
Live in Northern Virginia and have a tree close to power lines? Call Absolute Tree Service, Inc. at (703) 969-6207 or click here to contact us online.
The Danger of Trees & Power Lines
Electricity is nothing to play around with, and hopefully, this was instilled in you at a very young age. What we sometimes forget is exactly how electricity works, which is precisely what makes it so dangerous.
Today, we use electricity to power our homes and businesses, control heating & energy, and so much more. Power lines typically run close to streets, suspended in the air by poles. Other properties have power lines running underground (which is why it is recommended to call your provider before digging into the land).
Electricity is constantly seeking the fastest route to the ground. When any person or object touching the ground comes into contact with power lines, electric currents will immediately travel through you to get there. This is the cause of electrocution, which is serious and sometimes fatal.
Keep Trees Away from Power Lines
Preventing this threat is not difficult, and you can avoid almost all risks with proper maintenance and care. Follow these tips to avoid contact between your trees and the power lines above:
- Be Aware of Lines: First and foremost, you need to know exactly where power lines are in relation to your building. Whether residential or commercial, know the location of lines and whether they are above or below ground.
- Plant with Care: When planting trees, always take into consideration their fully mature size. Large trees should not be planted close to power lines, but some smaller trees are fine! Ask a local arborist if the plants you selected are safe.
- Prune & Trim Often: It is vital to properly maintain trees by pruning and trimming in appropriate seasons. Weak tree limbs and tree branches will be removed, and the tree is groomed for healthy growth. A strong tree is less likely to have limbs break off that interfere with power lines.
- Hire a Professional: Certified arborists provide a valuable service. Having experience in the field, they have seen weakened trees succumb to heavy snow and land on power lines. Hiring a professional can help you eliminate most foreseeable risks.
- Get Insurance: We can’t prevent all problems, but insurance helps protect us against unavoidable damage. All homeowners, business owners, and even renters should secure insurance.
Always be cautious around power lines and assume they are both live and dangerous. Call your local power company if a tree is growing close to the lines. Several companies will provide line clearance services, eliminating any cost to you!
Also, remember that attempting to trim or remove trees yourself is a leading cause of accidents. Avoid performing dangerous tree care yourself and enlist the help of a professional.
Help, My Trees Are Already Touching Lines!
If a tree on your property is already touching power lines and/or sparking, DO NOT TOUCH THE TREE & CALL THE POWER COMPANY IMMEDIATELY! Avoid all contact with the tree and do not wait to make the call.
It is absolutely essential to exercise extreme caution with any tree that is in contact with power lines. As we said before, electricity is constantly looking for the fastest route to the ground. Trees quickly provide that route.
Dominion Virginia Power is the service provider for many residents in Northern Virginia. Call them directly at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) for tree trimming service if trees are already touching power lines or could interrupt service.
Call Absolute Tree Service, Inc.
If you live in Northern Virginia and find yourself in need of tree service, call us today at (703) 969-6207 or click here to contact us online today.
Absolute Tree Service, Inc. is a full-service tree company offering services including tree trimming, tree removal, and risk assessments. We serve residential and commercial customers in Northern Virginia, including Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Falls Church, McLean, Springfield, and the surrounding areas.
For the Absolute Best Tree Service in Northern Virginia, call Absolute Tree Today!
Author Profile: Ashley Davis
Over the last 19 years, Absolute Tree has grown a reputation as one of the premier tree service companies in the Northern Virginia areas. And there’s a good reason for this—we love trees and our passion for them shows. When you call on Absolute Tree for tree service, you aren’t just getting “some guys who cut down trees.” You’re hiring highly skilled arborists who understand the growth of trees and consider tree care an art form.
Swing in each month for new articles, pest alerts, local resources, tree care tips, tree health updates, and landscape maintenance ideas